Pre Season Friendly

Lyndhurst 0

Bashley Reserves 2

(Callum Ormerod, Luke Corsham)

Attendance: 21 and a dog (approx. headcount)

Wellends Road

As my car sounds more and more like a tractor as the days go on, I wasn’t too confident of getting a game in today, but that would have been a real shame to waste a lovely sunny Saturday afternoon.

But after realising my closest team Romsey Town weren’t playing on their usual home turf, I decided to risk my car and head over to Lyndhurst for their game with Bashley Reserves. Only my fourth game since Tuesday, quiet week really.

I made it with seconds to spare before kick off and I wasn’t to be disappointed with what was to unfold.


The Ground

Lyndhurst play in the Hampshire Division One, tier 12 of the English Football League system, a million miles from the glitz and glamour of the Premier League, so quite realistically, I was expecting a field.

It was just a field, in most parts, but the place still had a nice atmosphere about it. With a small cabin housing a tea bar and some tables (with some outdoor seating too) it was a nice setting if you fancy some free football in the New Forest.

Away from the changing rooms and tea bar there was little else to look at apart from the pitch, pretty basic with a metal barrier surrounding three sides of the playing field for spectators to lean on and keep a good distance from play.


The Game

Bashley Reserves scored two second half goals to secure a 2-0 victory over Lyndhurst, despite having a penalty chalked off in the first half.

Callum Ormerod and Luke Corsham grabbed late goals to make amends for Ben Dashwood’s dubious missed spot kick.

Both sides managed to get early shots in with one Lyndhurst striker blazing one well high of the Bashley goal.

Central midfielder Dashwood also had a great chance to open the scoring but his effort ended up in the trees following a good dummy from Michael Boboye.

The referee was ruining what could have been a good game of football, making odd decisions and not controlling the temperament of the game.

Bashley had a strong penalty appeal waved away when Dan Molyneux was hauled over in the box.

The referee did give a penalty just before the half hour mark when winger Harry Boyt was pulled back inside the area.

Dashwood was denied an obvious goal from the spot with everybody seeing it cross the line and go in, apart from the referee. The Lyndhurst ‘keeper had done excellently to get a hand to the ball, failing to stop it crossing the line, but the ref was adamant that no goal had been scored.


Both teams made early subs with the most notable one being the veteran Lyndhurst defender making way for the only Lyndhurst sub who was acting as linesman on the far side.

With both teams aggrieved with silly decisions by the referee, the first half was brought to premature end when a spectator was hit on the head with the ball, taking a nasty tumble into the parked car behind him.

With the fan back on his feet and enjoying a cup of tea in the shade, the second half began and Bashley soon managed to get their noses in front through Callum Ormerod who had replaced Zak Barrett at the interval (and also using his shirt causing havoc with the team sheet).

Ormerod’s speculative ball into the box managed to evade everyone to loop in over the ‘keeper who had been in fine form all afternoon at Wellends Road.

The game was put to bed in the closing minutes through Luke Corsham who had skipped through a fatigued defence to calmly slide the ball into the net to secure the win for Bashley Reserves.

2016/17 Games: 6

2016/17 Grounds: 7

Total Grounds Visited: 154