FA Cup First Round Qualifying Replay

Fareham Town 2

(Callum Laycock, Ash Tattersall)

Alresford Town 4

(Geoff Dunn, Liam Hall, Mohammad Nyang, Jamie Nash)

Attendance: 167

Cams Alders

My FA Cup run continues! Having missed out on a match on Saturday (due to work) I was secretly hoping on some draws for some of the local Hampshire sides, so when Alresford and Fareham finished 1-1 it was an obvious choice to head over to the Cams Alders Stadium for the replay.

It had been a toss up between this game and Weymouth’s rearranged game with Paulton Rovers but after a quick poll on Twitter (10 votes- all voting Fareham) I was quite pleased to be making the short trip east on the M27.

Unfortunately the Cams Alders is not a new ground for me, having witnessed the Creeksiders win 3-0 against Hamworthy in a Wessex Premier League encounter last season.

The Ground

The main stand is something to be admired at the Cams Alders. It stands tall, boasts a great view of the pitch and I don’t want to upset some of the traditionalists out there, but I do like sitting down to enjoy the beautiful game. The only drawback is one of the floodlight poles obstructs the viewing around the centre circle, but nothing too dreadful, both goal areas are clear to view.


One thing I did notice when doing my little pre-match walkabout, there is a lot of rubbish within the stadium, old tables and chairs tucked up corners and the place looks like it just needs a bit of love and affection. Even if some of the small things were fixed/tidied, like the overgrown grass around the pathways and the tatty artificial surface relayed, the whole look of the place would be greatly improved.

Saying that, I do like their big main stand and apart from that its just same old pitch level uncovered standing around the rest of the playing field. One thing that did bug me was that I missed out on getting a programme with the club selling out. However I believe they are printing more so I will be sorting that out in due course.

The Game

The Magpies search for silverware continued when Alresford came from behind twice to head into the next round of the FA Cup with a 4-2 win over Fareham Town in the all-Wessex League encounter. Both sides had drawn 1-1 at the weekend but a late surge of goals from the away team earned the Magpies a place in the second round of qualifying.

The Creeksiders had twice taken the lead through Callum Laycock and Ash Tattersall but goals from Geoff Dunn, Liam Hall, Mohammad Nyang and Jamie Nash secured the victory.

It took just eight minutes for the home side to take the lead when a long free kick from Sam Martin found Laycock at the back post who put a looping header over the goalkeeper, going in with the help of the opposite post.

Fareham’s fans were in full voice in this FA Cup encounter and they nearly doubled the lead when Simon Woods flicked on for Leigh Shodbolt but he fired his shot straight at ‘keeper Dan Kempson.

Alresford hit back in spectacular style when Geoff Dunn curled a lovely free kick into the top corner from the edge of the box to level the score. The set piece had come from nothing when George Davis had trouble clearing the ball under pressure and went down looking for a free kick and grabbing the ball with his hands. The referee wasn’t amused and gave the decision to the away side and Dunn punished them with a great strike.

At 1-1 the game was still very even, Alresford’s Craig Harding had a volley saved before Woods hit an ugly effort high and wide of the goal as both teams battled to find the advantage.

With the scores all level at the break, the game continued to be an even affair with a strong possibility of extra time and penalties. Fareham were nearly left blushing when ‘keeper Jamie Bewick was caught well off his line with a long lobbed effort, but he managed to catch the ball to save his blushes.

Fareham made two changes at the interval and striker Tattersall made an instant impact putting the Creeksiders in the lead when he fired into the corner after a loose pass had bounced off defender Liam Hall.


Hall, who had given away the free kick that led to Fareham’s opener as well as deflecting the ball into Tattersall’s path for the second, made amends when he pulled Alresford level for a second time. Tom Ashton played a good ball into the box for Dunn who controlled beautifully and fired a shot into the keeper who parried straight to Hall who was on hand to volley in at the back post after staying up from a long throw minutes previous.

The game stopped for a while when the referee had to be replaced due to injury. However Alresford were straight back at it after the restart and took the lead through Mohammad Nyang when he played in Dunn on the right wing and the pair exchanged passes for Nyang to slam home a Magpies third.

Jamie Nash put the game to bed minutes later when some intricate play on the edge of the box by Nyang found Nash who looked offside to poke over the ‘keeper to confirm Alresford’s place in the next round.

2016/17 Games: 24

2016/16 Grounds: 25

Total Grounds Visited: 166