Southampton Senior Cup Second Round

Team Solent 7

(Jesse Waller-Lassen x4, Pip Nolan, Jim Orvis, Silvano Obeng)

Hythe & Dibden 0

Attendance: ??

Test Park

Eight days. Yes eight days without a football match and I lived to tell the tale. It isn’t all doom and gloom as I was away on a family holiday in Greece. Minus a couple of overnight storms I had a solid week of sun, tennis, volleyball and water sports to occupy my week as I went cold turkey.

I had hoped to catch some Greek football, Christ I would have settled for the kitchen staff versus the waiters in the resort car park but it wasn’t to be. Thesprotos in the Greek third tier had a game on the Sunday, however if I had been in attendance I may have missed my flight home and Team Solent’s Monday night clash with Hythe & Dibden.

Landing back in the UK in the early hours of Monday morning, what better way to reengage my football addiction than a Southampton Senior Cup tie.

The fact that Solent had knocked nine past Whitchurch United on Saturday I was confident that more goals were to come on a cold night in Hampshire.

The Ground

For my comments on Test Park, home of Team Solent visit my article from my first visit this season; Travelling To- Team Solent.

And read here about my last visit; Travelling To- Team Solent Reserves.


The Game

Team Solent kicked off their defence of the Southampton Senior Cup as they cruised through to the third round with a 7-0 thrashing of Hythe & Dibden.

The hosts, who are one division higher than their visitors, were 3-0 to the good at half time before adding four, second half strikes including Silvano Obeng’s goal with the last kick of the game.

Jesse Waller-Lassen had the game’s first real chance when his curling effort was met with a strong hand by visiting ‘keeper Jamie Bruce. Solent were getting themselves up to speed and winger Tyrell Mitford also tried his luck from the edge of the box but his shot was wide of the mark.

Solent did take the lead on 18 minutes through former Tottenham youngster Waller-Lassen when he evaded a couple of challenges in the box before unleashing a bullet strike into the corner of the net from a wide angle.

Pip Nolan doubled the lead a few minutes later when he pounced on a loose ball after Bruce had fumbled Mitford’s effort.

The visitors created a few chances of their own through Tom Nash who produced a neat turn to make some space before firing his shot well high and wide. Moments later Ollie Bradley headed over a well-worked corner as Hythe looked to pull a goal back on the half hour mark.

Bruce made a great save to deny a Solent third when he got his fingertips to Jim Orvis’s first time effort to tip it around the post. The visiting ‘keeper was unable to prevent a third goal when Mitford wrong footed the defender and was felled by Conor Brannigan for a penalty which Waller-Lassen dispatched with ease for his second.

Some wayward shooting from Mitford was an all too common occurrence in the first half as he dragged another one wayward as the break loomed.

Matt Smith went close for Hythe on 43 minutes when he sent a rocket of a shot towards goal but it nestled in the side netting, not troubling Solent manager James Taylor who had put himself in goal for the evening.


Hythe substituted their ‘keeper with Callum Croucher replacing Bruce at the break and he was forced into an early save when his own centre back Brannigan sent a backwards header towards goal.

Croucher managed to get a strong hand on Mitford’s strike before again denying the Solent number six seconds later, this time holding on to the ball as he was kept busy.

Solent did manage to ruin Croucher’s clean sheet on the hour when Obeng played a lovely ball over to Waller-Lassen on the left wing with the outside of his boot. Waller-Lassen then delivered a low cross into the box which found Orvis at the back post who managed to get the ball out of his feet before firing a shot into the roof of the net despite Croucher doing well to get a touch.

Nolan then missed a chance for a fifth when he raced into the box unmarked to volley over the crossbar from a corner. Hythe & Dibden then caught Solent on the break but Tom Nash scuffed his effort wide.

Hythe & Dibden rode their luck keeping out Solent with a string of saves and a goal line clearance before Waller-Lassen was hauled over for another penalty after a quick one-two with Mitford. The number ten stepped up and left the ‘keeper frozen to the line, completing his hat-trick.

It was soon six when Croucher couldn’t keep hold of Orvis’ free-kick and Waller-Lassen slid in to add his fourth of the game and injuring the goalkeeper in the process.

Croucher dusted himself off as Solent continued to attack and they couldn’t add further goals when Steve Black and Obeng both headed over from corners.

Obeng did manage to get on the score sheet with the last kick of the game when Jamel Wiseman picked the ball up on the left flank and produced some outrageous skill to beat two defenders and put in a low pass to Obeng at the near post to poke in to complete the rout.

2016/17 Games: 37

2016/17 Grounds: 38

Total Grounds Visited: 173