BUCS Western 2A League

Team Solent Firsts 1

(Lewis Danquah)

Marjons Firsts 4

(Kyle Marks, Liam Prinn, Pete Ireland, Reece Loosemore)

Attendance: 8 (approx. headcount)

Test Park

If season tickets for Solent’s BUCs campaign existed, I may as well have had one as I have not missed a league or cup home game for the University’s Wednesday afternoon team. However, these games are free (bonus!).

I was indeed a little bit late for this one due to work but we wont delve too far into something so boring as I looked to be heading to game 94 of what has been a mental season.

I was pleased that the team were back on the main pitch, having got awfully muddy as the Sparks lost on penalties to Bath thirds at the top end of Test Park (whatever pitch number that may be).

As I sat in the stand sheltering from the light drizzle and wind, I was present for my 18th Solent home game this season.

The Game

Solent’s survival bid was dealt a blow with a heavy 4-1 defeat at the hands of Marjons.

The home side, who featured a few of their Wessex League regulars in an attempt to win the game fell apart in the second half despite Lewis Danquah giving the side a 1-0 lead at the break.

Danquah’s strike on 16 minutes was the perfect start to the game as Solent looked to draw level with Marjons on points and steer away from Bath who were occupying the drop zone of the Western 2A division.

Ryan Tetley went close for the visitors with a good effort which ‘keeper Max Boulter left casually to go wide, however the shot was too close for comfort.

Kyle Marks then saw his long shot sail straight into the hands of Boulter as Marjons tried to pull the score level.

Solent had their chances as Duarte Martins curled a free kick straight at ‘keeper Jordan Tewkesbury before Giovanni Landu hit a rocket at goal which Tewkesbury managed to block with one hand.

Liam Prinn went close just before the break when he raced through but his shot was blocked away and out for a corner that came to nothing as Solent took a slender one goal lead into the break.

After the restart, Danquah went close to doubling the lead when his shot/cross was nearly poked in at the back post by Martins.

On 56 minutes, Marjons managed to pull the score level when Marks took one touch before sending a shot into the top corner from the edge of the box, leaving Boulter stuck to the floor.

Solent had fallen apart and Marjons took the lead a minute later when Boulter dragged down Louis Irwin in the box, leaving referee James Rees no choice but to award a penalty. Prinn stepped up and smashed the spot kick straight down the middle to put the away side ahead.

The Sparks had certainly lost their spark and were failing to do the basics as Marjons ran riot. Ireland’s cross looked to be sailing in before Irwin fired into the side netting.

The visitors made it 3-1 with ten minutes remaining when Tetley fired a good ball into Irwin who laid the ball back to Ireland to drive the shot low into the corner and out of the reach of the outstretched Boulter.

As the game reached the final moments, there was still time for a Marjons fourth when Loosemore gathered a cross from the right, expertly lifted the ball over one defender before calmly slotting it under Boulter and over the line to complete a remarkable second half comeback.

2016/17 Games: 94

2016/17 Grounds: 53 (9)

Total Grounds Visited: 150 (40)