Staffs County League Premier

Redgate Clayton 1

(Wayne Glover)

Eastwood Hanley 4

(Andy Bratt, Asa Tomkinson, Liam Robinson, Elisio Francisco)

Attendance: ??

Clayton Community Centre

Having just been over to Shropshire as Whitchurch Alport drew 1-1 with FC Oswestry Town. There was enough time to drive back to dads, have a quick drink and rest before making the short two-mile drive to Northwood Lane as Redgate Clayton took on Eastwood Hanley.

It was 366 days since Dad and I last visited  the ground as we made it a double header on 6th May 2017 with the evening kick off at Crewe Alexandra. On that day last year Redgate beat Newcastle Town Reserves 1-0 but they weren’t to be as fortunate with the score line this evening.

Last year was the only time I had seen Redgate play and the last time I had seen them play. Their opposition today, Eastwood Hanley were a new team for me to watch and what a performance they put in!

The Ground

It has been one year and one day since my last visit and nothing has changed, so to read my comments on the ground, check out Travelling To- Redgate Clayton.


The Game 

Eastwood Hanley picked up all three points with a convincing 4-1 victory over Redgate Clayton in an ill-tempered Staffs County Senior League Premier game.

Former Port Vale youth player Andy Bratt gave the visitors the lead before Asa Tomkinson doubled the advantage from the penalty spot before the break. Liam Robinson put in Eastwood’s third before Redgate pulled one back through a Wayne Glover wonder strike.

However, substitute Elisio Francisco put the game to bed late on to round off the scoring with a well taken individual effort.

The game started with tempo and Bratt showed good skill to get the better of Shaun Whieldon before squaring the ball to Robinson who saw his shot rattle the post before Mark Shallcross skied the rebound.

Redgate’s Alex Dorrington was lucky to only receive a yellow card early on for a bad tackle on one of the visiting players that set the tone for the rest of the evening.

Dan Skelton was wasteful with his shot at goal for the hosts moments before the visitors took the lead. Former Port Vale youth defender Bratt, playing as a forward for Hanley, chipped a deft shot into the top corner out of the reach of Matt Holmes to put the visitors ahead.

It was a rough game with both sides throwing in late tackles and stray elbows that the referee did little to quash.

The visitors were then awarded a penalty when a ball over to Bratt was thought to be offside and as everybody stopped, Holmes wiped out the striker and didn’t even pick up a yellow card. Tomkinson stepped up to double the lead for Hanley.

Redgate were incensed by some of the decisions given against them and the bench were screaming for a penalty when Jack Finney dived inside the area. The referee was not fooled by the attempt and play continued.

Moments later Finney was tripped inside the box and had he not dived a minute previous, he may have got the spot kick for his side.

As the half-continued Robinson missed a great chance to bury the game when he fired over after Bratt had done well to find his team mate.

In the second half Hanley wasted no time in getting amongst the goals again when Jon Wilson punted the ball forward, Tomkinson and Bratt combined to set up Robinson who fired a hard shot into the corner of the goal.

Eastwood were in cruise control and Holmes had to be on his toes to tip a header around the post that could have easily have been the fourth.

Visiting substitutes Francisco and Dwayne Spence combined as Holmes did well to save from point-blank range before Robinson smashed the post from close range.

Against the run of play Redgate managed to score a consolation when Glover hit a wonderful strike on the bounce from 35-yards and it lobbed Mark Heath and nestled in the back of the net. In truth, Glover was lucky to still be on the pitch as minutes before he was booked, and the referee had come close to producing a second yellow after a barrage of verbal abuse.

Eastwood had the last laugh though as they made it 4-1 straight after the restart. Francisco managed to dispossess Whieldon and slotted the ball past Holmes to round off a fruitful afternoon for the visitors.

2017/18 Games: 83

2017/18 Grounds: 67 (12)

Total Grounds Visited: 212 (50)